Cannot get sensu-go cluster to connect over TLS

Very new to sensu & sensu-go.
Environment: 3 node cluster running Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS and sensu-go-backend 6.7.4

I have followed the instructions in the sensu docs to create a CA and generate certificates for the 3 nodes.
The certificates have been installed and the backup.yml files modified.
When I start the backends they don’t report any issues with the configuration.
However, the journal starts to fill up with the same warning
"tls: first record does not look like a TLS handshake"

I did a packet capture of the traffic between two of the nodes and this is where it gets really weird.
Looking at the traffic in Wireshark, I can see no attempt to start a TLS handshake but I can see lots of HTTP GET requests for /raft/stream/message and /raft/stream/msgapp objects.

I tried stopping the backends, clearing out the state-dir and restarting but that made no difference.
If I comment out all the tls stuff and change https to http, all the backends start up without a problem.

I have no idea what’s going on here and any help will be much appreciated.

Solved.
I originally configured the cluster to use HTTP.
When I reconfigured it to use HTTPS I was unaware that the etcd component was holding state somewhere so it was trying to use HTTP to communicate with backends expecting HTTPS.
I rebuilt the cluster from scratch using HTTPS and it is now working as expected.

1 Like

Hey there @Michael_Kelly , glad to hear you solved it. Etcd does indeed hold the configuration for TLS, so if the members start off unsecured, Etcd stores them as such.

Hi @aaronsachs, thanks for your reply.
Where does etcd store that configuration?
I’m wondering if it is possible to avoid having to rebuild an existing sensu-go cluster (currently using HTTP).
The cluster I created was a test to see if we could use certificates generated by puppet but it looks like we can’t. All I see are ‘bad certificate’ errors.

Etcd stores the data in whatever you specify as the data directory in your backend.yml. By default, that’s /var/lib/sensu/sensu-backend/etcd. The challenge is accessing the data directly–you’ll need to install etcdctl to access the data. The cluster members can be viewed using etcdctl member list, and you may be able to update the members using etcdctl member update, but it’s often quicker to rebuild.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.