Hosting Sensu on AWS - Looking for guidance on my architecture design

Hi Sensu’s,

Currently I am in the process of deploying Sensu in to production and looking for some advice on how to go about deploying Sensu to AWS. I have managed to get a POC up and running on CentOS which does do the job but I would rather design do it right from the get go for production.

Our team takes a ‘cloud first’ approach, with AWS being our preferred provider. Wherever possible I would like to utilise the native AWS services rather than spinning up EC2 instances (e.g. Elasticache vs Redis on an EC2 instance).

We do not currently utilise anything like Puppet or Chef but I am strongly considering using OpsWorks (Chef) to help deploy and manage Sensu.

This then leaves Sensu-Server, Sensu-Client (the main client I use for things like network checks), Sensu-API, RabbitMQ and dashboards (Uchiwa, Graphite/Graphana). The obvious choice is running these on EC2 instances but I would love to know if anyone has had success running these on something like Elasticbeanstalk or in containers.

Does anyone have any recommendations based on your experience?

Am I overthinking it, should I just spin up an EC2 instance and build around that?

Thanks for reading if you got this far. Looking forward to your feedback :slight_smile:

I have a bunch of sensu setups running on AWS. We use snssqs as transport protocol and elastic cache as redis backend. The sensu servers are in an autoscaling group behind a loadbalancer. The wohle setup and configuration is done via cloudformation and my custom chef monitor cookbook. The setup is very reliable and scalable.

Hi Phillip,

I have configured sensu on Redhat 7 EC2 but i am not able to start uchiwa dashboard.

i followed this steps.

Kindly help.

···

On Saturday, 24 December 2016 00:16:26 UTC+5:30, Philipp H wrote:

I have a bunch of sensu setups running on AWS. We use snssqs as transport protocol and elastic cache as redis backend. The sensu servers are in an autoscaling group behind a loadbalancer. The wohle setup and configuration is done via cloudformation and my custom chef monitor cookbook. The setup is very reliable and scalable.

Zombie post… Are you able to share your cloudformation templates and chef cookbooks?

thanks!

···

On Friday, December 23, 2016 at 1:46:26 PM UTC-5, Philipp H wrote: