"Requires" not working (embedded ruby)

Hello,

I’m trying to use the irc handler which requires carrier-pigeon, however, looking at the logs I can tell is not being able to find the dependency:

{“timestamp”:“2013-12-04T22:35:13.592501+0000”,“level”:“info”,“message”:“handler output”,“handler”:{“type”:“pipe”,“command”:"/etc/sensu/handlers/irc.rb",“name”:“irc”},“output”:"/opt/sensu/embedded/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:53:in `require’: cannot load such file – carrier-pigeon (LoadError)\n"}

I did gem install carrier-pigeon.

I do have a standalone rubyy, but sensu is configured for EMBEDDED_RUBY=true

I also have this rvm thing which I think messed up things.

Being not very experienced with the ruby world, my feeling is that I’m not being able to do a gem install that targets the embedded ruby that sensu uses. Or maybe sensu is not being able to pull a gem path properly?

Happy to provide more information. Any insight?

Thanks a lot

Sensu is awesome

Kevin

/opt/sensu/embedded/bin/gem install

···

On 4 Dec 2013 14:41, “Kevin Castro” kevin.castro@gmail.com wrote:

Hello,

I’m trying to use the irc handler which requires carrier-pigeon, however, looking at the logs I can tell is not being able to find the dependency:

{“timestamp”:“2013-12-04T22:35:13.592501+0000”,“level”:“info”,“message”:“handler output”,“handler”:{“type”:“pipe”,“command”:“/etc/sensu/handlers/irc.rb”,“name”:“irc”},“output”:“/opt/sensu/embedded/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:53:in `require’: cannot load such file – carrier-pigeon (LoadError)\n”}

Being not very experienced with the ruby world, my feeling is that I’m not being able to do a gem install that targets the embedded ruby that sensu uses. Or maybe sensu is not being able to pull a gem path properly?

Thanks a lot

Sensu is awesome

Kevin

I should have mentioned that I tried that.

/opt/sensu/embedded/bin/gem install carrier-pigeon

Says all good and installed. Then restart services and test it. Same result.

Kevin

···

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 7:43 PM, Sean Porter portertech@gmail.com wrote:

Hello,

{“timestamp”:“2013-12-04T22:35:13.592501+0000”,“level”:“info”,“message”:“handler output”,“handler”:{“type”:“pipe”,“command”:“/etc/sensu/handlers/irc.rb”,“name”:“irc”},“output”:“/opt/sensu/embedded/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:53:in `require’: cannot load such file – carrier-pigeon (LoadError)\n”}

Thanks a lot

Sensu is awesome

Kevin

I fixed it!!

After a while and due to my poor knowledge of ruby tried this before gem install:

$ export GEM_PATH=/opt/sensu/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.0.0:$GEM_PATH

Kevin

···

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 7:49 PM, Kevin Castro kevin.castro@gmail.com wrote:

Kevin

I should have mentioned that I tried that.

/opt/sensu/embedded/bin/gem install carrier-pigeon

Says all good and installed. Then restart services and test it. Same result.

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 7:43 PM, Sean Porter portertech@gmail.com wrote:

Hello,

Thanks a lot

Sensu is awesome

Kevin