Sensu-admin vs Puppet Ruby fight

Hi guys,

I’m trying to install Sensu-admin into Centos 6.3 (AWS) and we use Puppet to all our configurations, here the issue, Puppet woth well with Ruby 1.8 (other version is not clean and we test with many issues there) but Sensu admin, need some gem of Ruby 1.9, some one with similar setup that be found the way to have this 2 softwares running inside the same box without issues?

THanks,

Ale

Hey Alejandro,

Theres a few ways around this. If I remember right, I think the new puppet installs have an “omnibus” type setup where all the dependencies (java, ruby, etc) are installed in a sandbox, So you might be able to use 1.9 locally then.

You could look into rbenv, or rvm – Both of these would give you a sandboxed ruby 1.9 to run sensu admin under, and are probably the best option to be honest. Install rvm/rbenv under the sensu-admin user and then run it that way.

Last is you could look into sensu-admin and ruby 1.8, Its probably some loose dependency on a gem thats not letting your run ruby 1.8, If you track down the offending gems and then install a correct version – ruby 1.8 should be an option. There is nothing inherently ruby 1.9 in sensu-admin that I know of.

If you give me the errors from ruby 1.8 and sensu-admin I might be able to look into it, however, rvm should be an easy win.

Thanks,
Josh

···

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Alejandro Ferrari cdgraff@gmail.com wrote:

Hi guys,

I’m trying to install Sensu-admin into Centos 6.3 (AWS) and we use Puppet to all our configurations, here the issue, Puppet woth well with Ruby 1.8 (other version is not clean and we test with many issues there) but Sensu admin, need some gem of Ruby 1.9, some one with similar setup that be found the way to have this 2 softwares running inside the same box without issues?

THanks,

Ale

Thanks, Joshua,

the issue be when try to install using bundler

Gem::InstallError: nokogiri requires Ruby version >= 1.9.2.
An error occurred while installing nokogiri (1.6.0), and Bundler cannot continue.

all the details about the issue be into this good post

http://www.sysarchitects.com/installing-sensu-admin-rhel6

thanks for the help

Ale

···

El miércoles, 9 de octubre de 2013 16:00:07 UTC-3, Joshua Pasqualetto escribió:

Hey Alejandro,

Theres a few ways around this. If I remember right, I think the new puppet installs have an “omnibus” type setup where all the dependencies (java, ruby, etc) are installed in a sandbox, So you might be able to use 1.9 locally then.

You could look into rbenv, or rvm – Both of these would give you a sandboxed ruby 1.9 to run sensu admin under, and are probably the best option to be honest. Install rvm/rbenv under the sensu-admin user and then run it that way.

Last is you could look into sensu-admin and ruby 1.8, Its probably some loose dependency on a gem thats not letting your run ruby 1.8, If you track down the offending gems and then install a correct version – ruby 1.8 should be an option. There is nothing inherently ruby 1.9 in sensu-admin that I know of.

If you give me the errors from ruby 1.8 and sensu-admin I might be able to look into it, however, rvm should be an easy win.

Thanks,
Josh

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Alejandro Ferrari cdg...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi guys,

THanks,

Ale

Hey Alejandro,

So, try putting:

gem ‘nokogiri’, ‘= 1.5.8’

into the sensu-admin/Gemfile and doing a bundle update/bundle install, then retrying. nokogiri 1.5.8 is really the last fully compatible Ruby 1.8 nokogiri. If you fix this issue it should probably “just work”

If this fix works we will pin in the Gemfile from here on out so others dont run into the same issue.

Thanks,
Josh

···

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Alejandro Ferrari cdgraff@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks, Joshua,

An error occurred while installing nokogiri (1.6.0), and Bundler cannot continue.

thanks for the help

Ale

Hey Alejandro,

Thanks,
Josh

Hi guys,

THanks,

Ale

Alejandro,

Nokogiri 1.6.0 is a dependency of capybara, which is for testing only. You can bundle install with the following and it should work:

bundle install --without development test

-Alan

···

On Wednesday, October 9, 2013 3:01:06 PM UTC-7, Joshua Pasqualetto wrote:

Hey Alejandro,

So, try putting:

into the sensu-admin/Gemfile and doing a bundle update/bundle install, then retrying. nokogiri 1.5.8 is really the last fully compatible Ruby 1.8 nokogiri. If you fix this issue it should probably “just work”

If this fix works we will pin in the Gemfile from here on out so others dont run into the same issue.

Thanks,
Josh

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Alejandro Ferrari cdg...@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks, Joshua,

thanks for the help

Ale

Hey Alejandro,

Thanks,
Josh

Hi guys,

THanks,

Ale

Thanks Guys, help me a lot with this advices…

Here my final steps, hope this help to others.

https://github.com/sensu/sensu-admin/wiki/Installation-into-Centos-6.4

Regards,
Alejandro

···

2013/10/9 Alan Sebastian asebastian2@gmail.com

Alejandro,

Nokogiri 1.6.0 is a dependency of capybara, which is for testing only. You can bundle install with the following and it should work:

-Alan

Hey Alejandro,

So, try putting:

Thanks,
Josh

Thanks, Joshua,

thanks for the help

Ale

Hey Alejandro,

Thanks,
Josh

Hi guys,

THanks,

Ale

Guys, I need some advice with the crontabs tasks, of sensu-admin

I get this error:

[root@monitoring-01 sensu-admin-0.0.7]# script/rails runner -e production Downtime.process_downtimes

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/railties-3.2.14/lib/rails/commands/runner.rb:54: /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.2.14/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/sqlite_adapter.rb:472:in `table_structure’: Could not find table ‘downtimes’ (ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid)

Of course see the error: `table_structure’: Could not find table ‘downtimes’

After check with more detail, I see that the database with information is “development” and “production” be empty, can tell me how need start the app to use Production and now Development environment?

Thanks,
Ale

···

2013/10/9 Alejandro cdgraff@gmail.com

Regards,
Alejandro

Alejandro,

-Alan

Hey Alejandro,

So, try putting:

Thanks,
Josh

Thanks, Joshua,

thanks for the help

Ale

Hey Alejandro,

Thanks,
Josh

Hi guys,

THanks,

Ale

RAILS_ENV=production in front of all commands you run, What are you running the app with? unicorn?

so, e.g.:

RAILS_ENV=production script/rails runner -e production Downtime.process_downtimes

···

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Alejandro cdgraff@gmail.com wrote:

Guys, I need some advice with the crontabs tasks, of sensu-admin

I get this error:

[root@monitoring-01 sensu-admin-0.0.7]# script/rails runner -e production Downtime.process_downtimes

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/railties-3.2.14/lib/rails/commands/runner.rb:54: /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.2.14/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/sqlite_adapter.rb:472:in `table_structure’: Could not find table ‘downtimes’ (ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid)

Of course see the error: `table_structure’: Could not find table ‘downtimes’

After check with more detail, I see that the database with information is “development” and “production” be empty, can tell me how need start the app to use Production and now Development environment?

Thanks,
Ale

2013/10/9 Alejandro cdgraff@gmail.com

Regards,
Alejandro

Alejandro,

-Alan

Hey Alejandro,

So, try putting:

Thanks,
Josh

Thanks, Joshua,

thanks for the help

Ale

Hey Alejandro,

Thanks,
Josh

Hi guys,

THanks,

Ale