Sensu and windows

Hi,

I am looking to know whether anyone has experience in monitoring windows environment with sensu. I am a linux guy myself and don’t know much about windows. I have went through the documentation here: https://docs.sensu.io/sensu-core/1.7/platforms/sensu-on-microsoft-windows/#reference-documentation but I don’t think that all my questions are answered there.

1. Is it possible to monitor an entire infra (windows and linux) from sensu server/api/client installed in a single linux server? That is do I need to have a sensu windows server dedicated for windows clients?

2. How is your experience in monitoring windows assets with sensu? Okay? Good? Poor? I know this is subjective but any kind of response would help me.

3. I am particularly interested to know whether these assets can be monitored with sensu and whether anyone has done so.

• MS Exchange 2016 – DAG, Queue, Exchange services, SSL certificate.
• MS SQL Server 2014 – SQL Availability groups, SQL Replication Services, SQL HA, DB Instance monitoring.
• MS Distribution File System 2012 – DFS replication service, DFS backlog files, DFS namespace.
• MS Server 2012 – Disk, RAM, CPU and Microsoft application services like Vertex, Cognos.

Thanks for helping!

EDIT: All of the above are monitored by nagios currently. So there may be a way to drop sensu in and monitor them as well.

Hi @soham,

Thanks a ton for reaching out here. One thing I’d recommend (and recommended it in your slack post), would be to check out the https://github.com/sensu-plugins/sensu-plugins-windows repo to see if that will monitor what you need.

As for your infrastructure question, yes. It is entirely possible to use a single linux server to host your Sensu deployment. It’s worth noting that we don’t actually provide the server/api packages for Windows Server, so really, you’d only be able to deploy Sensu on a linux server. This won’t affect Windows agents being able to communicate with the server, as the two communicate via Rabbitmq.

For the more specific Windows questions, I’d still defer to #windows in the community slack.

2 Likes