Why does Sensu use hyphenated instead of underscored file names for plugins?

I’m guessing this convention was borrowed from Chef because I don’t see it being used any where else in the ruby world. Now to be clear as far as I know there is no other reason to use underscored (my_file.rb) versus hyphenated (my-file.rb) from a Ruby perspective either is fine but the adoption of the former is so heavily favored that using the latter kind of communicates “this is a slightly different type of ruby”. Of course I’m seeing this purely from a Ruby dev’s perspective, and given a choice to set the naming I would do it underscore to communicate that these are just plain ruby files like any other ruby files you’ll encounter.

Maybe I’m missing something though, is there some particular reason why Chef and Sensu use hyphenated ruby file names?

That is weird. I didn’t even believe it until I went and looked. I guess it kinda just happened like that and caught on, maybe from Chef or even from Nagios plugins.

···

On Wednesday, April 2, 2014 10:19:32 AM UTC-7, Tim Case wrote:

I’m guessing this convention was borrowed from Chef because I don’t see it being used any where else in the ruby world. Now to be clear as far as I know there is no other reason to use underscored (my_file.rb) versus hyphenated (my-file.rb) from a Ruby perspective either is fine but the adoption of the former is so heavily favored that using the latter kind of communicates “this is a slightly different type of ruby”. Of course I’m seeing this purely from a Ruby dev’s perspective, and given a choice to set the naming I would do it underscore to communicate that these are just plain ruby files like any other ruby files you’ll encounter.

Maybe I’m missing something though, is there some particular reason why Chef and Sensu use hyphenated ruby file names?