Automate ProxyClients monitoring

Hello All

I have bunch of proxy clients ( more than 100) which i would to monitor using sensu . I am already monitoring my non proxy clients with automation in place. Due to some restrictions i am not able to automate the whole process to add proxy clients easily.

No two Proxy client checks can have same check names and all check need to have a different source name. Right now i create json files manually.

Is thr any way i can automate the process ? I dont want to end up making 100s of json file manually.

Thx

Sensu offers code for working with Chef or Puppet. I highly suggest you use one of these for scaling up your deployment.

···

On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 9:01:15 PM UTC+2, GautumAni wrote:

Hello All

I have bunch of proxy clients ( more than 100) which i would to monitor using sensu . I am already monitoring my non proxy clients with automation in place. Due to some restrictions i am not able to automate the whole process to add proxy clients easily.

No two Proxy client checks can have same check names and all check need to have a different source name. Right now i create json files manually.

Is thr any way i can automate the process ? I dont want to end up making 100s of json file manually.

Thx

I use chef for my non-proxy clients but struggling to use it for proxy clients … i cant write a generic recipe for it as no two proxy clients can have same check name , i have many network devices with same checks but i can write check name same for them …if i do so i dont see them under “source” which i specified.

If anyone has done it please help.

Regards

···

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 2:42:40 AM UTC-7, Alexander Skiba wrote:

Sensu offers code for working with Chef or Puppet. I highly suggest you use one of these for scaling up your deployment.

Hello All

Thx

Due to some restrictions i am not able to automate the whole process to add proxy clients easily.

As far as I know, the only way to define the proxy clients is through the API. This issue is the closest thing I’ve seen that would allow us to automate the creation of proxy clients from a fresh deployment, but as of now, nothing is built in to sensu to automate this.

No two Proxy client checks can have same check names

You can indeed reuse the name of the checks across proxy clients. For example, if you have lots of routers defined as proxy clients, all of them can have a check with the name “check-ping”. The trick is only defining one check on the server, and then adding to the check a proxy request attribute. This way, you only define the check once, but then have it applied to some set of your proxy clients. In Uchiwa or via the API, the check will be attributed to each of the proxy clients.

Hope that clarifies things.

···

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 12:16 PM, GautumAni hi2anirudh@gmail.com wrote:

I use chef for my non-proxy clients but struggling to use it for proxy clients … i cant write a generic recipe for it as no two proxy clients can have same check name , i have many network devices with same checks but i can write check name same for them …if i do so i dont see them under “source” which i specified.

If anyone has done it please help.

Regards

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 2:42:40 AM UTC-7, Alexander Skiba wrote:

Hello All

Thx

Steven Viola