Creating a check that doesn't use a handler?

We have a few checks which we like to monitor the status of (how many apt updates a machine has, etc) but we don’t want to ever pass the status to a handler.

Is the appropriate way to handle this to create a handler which doesn’t do anything, or should I be looking at metric handlers? I’d like this to appear in the Sensu dashboard alongside the other checks.

Thanks,

Chris

Add handle: false to your check definitions.

···

On 10 May 2013 13:42, “Christopher Armstrong” chris@chrisarmstrong.me wrote:

We have a few checks which we like to monitor the status of (how many apt updates a machine has, etc) but we don’t want to ever pass the status to a handler.

Is the appropriate way to handle this to create a handler which doesn’t do anything, or should I be looking at metric handlers? I’d like this to appear in the Sensu dashboard alongside the other checks.

Thanks,

Chris

Great, thanks Sean. Didn’t see anything in the documentation so I figured I’d ask.

···

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Sean Porter portertech@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks,

Chris

Sean,

Sensu doesn’t seem to like that:

{“timestamp”:“2013-05-10T23:26:45.904216+0000”,“level”:“fatal”,“message”:“invalid settings”,“reason”:“check handlers must be an array”,“check”:{“command”:“check-reboot-required.sh”,“subscribers”:[“base”],“handlers”:false,“interval”:60,“name”:“reboot_required”}}

Any ideas?

···

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Christopher Armstrong chris@chrisarmstrong.me wrote:

Great, thanks Sean. Didn’t see anything in the documentation so I figured I’d ask.

Thanks,

Chris

You have handlers plural and he said handle singular that might be it? If that doesn’t work which version are you running?

-josh

···

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Christopher Armstrong chris@chrisarmstrong.me wrote:

Thanks,

Chris