Sensu Check create an event and handler but NOT show a warning on the dashboard!!

I would like a check that can trigger a handler but not show up on the dashbaord as a warning… for example… we have a script that tells us when a machine has updates available but I would like that to trigger a handler to create a ticket/issue in jira and not show it on the dashboard forever… is that possible?

Thanks guys!!!

As far as I know, this is not possible.

The stock sensu dashboard is pretty simple, and will enumerate all events.

I’ve been trying to hack on it recently to do more sophisticated filtering and sorting, but I’m not getting very far. (I know jack about backbone + coffeescript)

For example, you could add arbitrary data to the event json, like a severity level, and the “severity” of this particular check could be “NOTICE” or something.

Then the filterable dashboard could do something like show all events that are tagged WARNING or above. Basically a severity aware filter.

It would be cool, sorting would be cool, different colors would be cool. Again just daydreaming. Seems like such a thing shouldn’t be baked into the dashboard itself, but via some plugin, as sensu doesn’t naively understand such things, it would be additional metadata provided by the user.

But maybe you don’t care about severity? Maybe you could just tag => has_jira:true, or maybe someone else cares about sorting/coloring by datacenter: bla. Or environtment: prod/dev/stage. Possibilities would be endless!

Maybe someone really handy with greasemonkey could handle your particular case and make the particular “updates” entries not visible, but that would be a very specific hack for you :slight_smile:

···

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 9:46 AM, Joshua Zitting jzjoshzitting@gmail.com wrote:

I would like a check that can trigger a handler but not show up on the dashbaord as a warning… for example… we have a script that tells us when a machine has updates available but I would like that to trigger a handler to create a ticket/issue in jira and not show it on the dashboard forever… is that possible?

Thanks guys!!!