Distributed Sensu setup?

Sorry to dig up old posts but it has been a year since this was answered and I was wondering if anything has changed… I have a similar need. We have equipment in 4 locations and I would like to monitor all with one sensu cluster…
Is the best way still to set up some RabbitMQ shovelers at the remote sites and point them to the sensu cluster?

Thank you for any help in advance!

···

On Friday, March 22, 2013 6:08:48 AM UTC-6, Veselin Kantsev wrote:

Hello,
could you please direct me to any documentation on distributed Sensu setup?

I’m operating two separate physical locations and would like to have

a local Sensu server in each plus a 3rd one acting as a master/control node.

I’m unsure whether I need complete Sensu servers at both locations

or just local message queues connecting back to the control node.

Regards,

Veselin

Depending on your latency and network requirements, you could either:

• Put all the sensu-servers in your “master” location, and co-locate your rabbitmq servers there, and have all clients phone-home there.

or

• Put your sensu-servers + rabbitmq on your “master” location, and then setup rabbitmq mirrors in your local pops and configure your sensu clients to use them.

I would not add additional complexity with master/slave relationships, just know what you are geting into:

http://www.rabbitmq.com/ha.html

What is best will be determined by you, and how your network is setup, latency conditions, etc.

···

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 9:54 AM, Joshua Zitting jzjoshzitting@gmail.com wrote:

Sorry to dig up old posts but it has been a year since this was answered and I was wondering if anything has changed… I have a similar need. We have equipment in 4 locations and I would like to monitor all with one sensu cluster…
Is the best way still to set up some RabbitMQ shovelers at the remote sites and point them to the sensu cluster?

Hello,

Regards,

Veselin

This is how we are doing it, with federation instead of shovels.

We have central Sensu nodes which process events, with federated nodes in each pop. It works well for us so far… RabbitMQ management and orchestration seems to be the most painful part of using Sensu.

···

On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 11:54:40 AM UTC-6, Joshua Zitting wrote:

Hello,

Regards,

Veselin

RabbitMQ is the part that most concerns me about my proposal for a federated Sensu. I’m currently thinking:

In each environment within each datacenter, I’ll have a separate Sensu server / RabbitMQ installation, then aggregate all of the results queues from these into queues for global metric storage and Sensu event aggregation in one or two datacenters.

···

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Wyatt Walter wwalter@sugarcrm.com wrote:

This is how we are doing it, with federation instead of shovels.

We have central Sensu nodes which process events, with federated nodes in each pop. It works well for us so far… RabbitMQ management and orchestration seems to be the most painful part of using Sensu.

On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 11:54:40 AM UTC-6, Joshua Zitting wrote:

Hello,

Regards,

Veselin