Load balance API and Dashboard

When you have more then one Sensu server, do you run the API and dashboard on each server, or is it best to have the “primary” server run the API and dashboard and point the secondary server at it? I am trying to figure out in the event that a server goes down, it won’t take any human intervention to get the dashboard and API back. If I run the API and dashboard on each individual server, will each dashboard show the same alerts, or only alerts that were triggered on that server?

As far as I remember this is not supported by sensu dash out of the box. However you could write a dashboard like this very easily by talking to the sensu rest api.

···

Diptanu

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Quenten Griffith qgriffith@gmail.com wrote:

When you have more then one Sensu server, do you run the API and dashboard on each server, or is it best to have the “primary” server run the API and dashboard and point the secondary server at it? I am trying to figure out in the event that a server goes down, it won’t take any human intervention to get the dashboard and API back. If I run the API and dashboard on each individual server, will each dashboard show the same alerts, or only alerts that were triggered on that server?

Oops I just realised I answered on the wrong thread. Apologies.

···

Diptanu

You may run one or more Sensu servers, result and event processing is automatically balanced amongst them.

You may run as many Sensu APIs as you like. It is common practice to throw a load balancer in front of the APIs to provide a single endpoint (and ssl) or use DNS.

The Sensu dashboard that ships with the Sensu package can only talk to a single API endpoint. It wouldn’t be too difficult to add support for multiple, even merging the data from multiple endpoints (a task for someone).

Sean.

···

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 8:10 AM, Diptanu Choudhury diptanuc@gmail.com wrote:

Oops I just realised I answered on the wrong thread. Apologies.

Diptanu

Cheers,

Sean Porter

{ blog: “http://portertech.ca”, projects: “https://github.com/portertech” }