Newbie question...How to add Sensu Checks on Windows

I am a windows user and trying various monitoring systems. I found sensu as a good alternative to try out. So I installed the server on a VM and installed the windows client on my local mahcine (windows 10) according to this document: https://sensuapp.org/docs/latest/windows-service-configuration

On the sensu terminal (port 3000) I am getting this error:

/opt/sensu/embedded/bin/ruby.exe /etc/sensu/plugins/check-disk-windows.rb - No such file or directory

Which is true as I guess as I did not install any checks or plug-ins.

I looked into https://github.com/sensu-plugins/sensu-plugins-windows but I am not sure how to install it. Is there any windows installer for the plug-ins? if not, can someone point me to a document that will explain how to do it. I google around but could not find good instructions to install plugins for windows. I have basic knowledge of unix but do not have experience in writing Ruby code.

Hello

Checks should be in all client machines, that means you need to install that check into your windows machine

Regards

···

On Sunday, February 21, 2016 at 6:10:29 AM UTC+1, jojobar wrote:

I am a windows user and trying various monitoring systems. I found sensu as a good alternative to try out. So I installed the server on a VM and installed the windows client on my local mahcine (windows 10) according to this document: https://sensuapp.org/docs/latest/windows-service-configuration

On the sensu terminal (port 3000) I am getting this error:

/opt/sensu/embedded/bin/ruby.exe /etc/sensu/plugins/check-disk-windows.rb - No such file or directory

Which is true as I guess as I did not install any checks or plug-ins.

I looked into https://github.com/sensu-plugins/sensu-plugins-windows but I am not sure how to install it. Is there any windows installer for the plug-ins? if not, can someone point me to a document that will explain how to do it. I google around but could not find good instructions to install plugins for windows. I have basic knowledge of unix but do not have experience in writing Ruby code.

Actually, I have found that there is a bug when you attempt to install the windows-plugins:

C:\opt\sensu\bin>sensu-install.bat --verbose -p sensu-plugins-windows

C:\opt\sensu\bin>C:\opt\sensu\embedded\bin\ruby C:\opt\sensu\embedded\bin\sensu-install --verbose -p sensu-plugins-windows

[SENSU-INSTALL] installing Sensu plugins …

[SENSU-INSTALL] provided Sensu plugins: [“sensu-plugins-windows”]

[SENSU-INSTALL] Sensu plugin gems to be installed: [“sensu-plugins-windows”]

[SENSU-INSTALL] installing Sensu plugin gem: sensu-plugins-windows

[SENSU-INSTALL] gem install sensu-plugins-windows --no-ri --no-rdoc --verbose

[SENSU-INSTALL] failed to install Sensu plugin gem: sensu-plugins-windows

[SENSU-INSTALL] please take note of any failure messages above

[SENSU-INSTALL] make sure you have build tools installed (e.g. gcc)

[SENSU-INSTALL] trying to determine Sensu plugin homepage for sensu-plugins-windows …

‘gem’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

So it seems there is something missing in the actual instructions for supporting Windows systems.

···

Yes , I have the same problem…

···

четверг, 10 марта 2016 г., 4:48:30 UTC+3 пользователь Michael Worsham написал:

Actually, I have found that there is a bug when you attempt to install the windows-plugins:

C:\opt\sensu\bin>sensu-install.bat --verbose -p sensu-plugins-windows

C:\opt\sensu\bin>C:\opt\sensu\embedded\bin\ruby C:\opt\sensu\embedded\bin\sensu-install --verbose -p sensu-plugins-windows

[SENSU-INSTALL] installing Sensu plugins …

[SENSU-INSTALL] provided Sensu plugins: [“sensu-plugins-windows”]

[SENSU-INSTALL] Sensu plugin gems to be installed: [“sensu-plugins-windows”]

[SENSU-INSTALL] installing Sensu plugin gem: sensu-plugins-windows

[SENSU-INSTALL] gem install sensu-plugins-windows --no-ri --no-rdoc --verbose

[SENSU-INSTALL] failed to install Sensu plugin gem: sensu-plugins-windows

[SENSU-INSTALL] please take note of any failure messages above

[SENSU-INSTALL] make sure you have build tools installed (e.g. gcc)

[SENSU-INSTALL] trying to determine Sensu plugin homepage for sensu-plugins-windows …

‘gem’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

So it seems there is something missing in the actual instructions for supporting Windows systems.

We install the plugins using:

E:\Applications\sensu\embedded\bin\gem install sensu-plugin --no-rdoc --no-ri
E:\Applications\sensu\embedded\bin\gem install sensu-plugins-windows --no-rdoc --no-ri

``

It might be because gem isn’t in your path. Specifically referencing it seems to do the trick (obviously changing for your particular locations).