puppet on cron perpetually restarts client

I use the sensu puppet module for deployment of sensu and it is run with a cron. Everything works fine however every time that the cron runs the sensu_client_config is somehow changed which tiggers a restart of the sensu client service… every single cron run. Not the end of the world, just pretty annoying.

Anyone know what is being changed each time in the client config that is causing puppet to remake the client file every time and hence trigger the restart? As far as I can tell the sensu client file is pretty static from run to run. I’ll look through the sensu puppet module a bit more but just figured I’d ask here in case someone ran into this already.

Can you run the puppet agent manually with verbose turned on? The output might have a hint to what manifest is being triggered.

Mojk

···

On Jul 23, 2014 11:43 AM, “Scott Buchanan” scott.x.buchanan@gmail.com wrote:

I use the sensu puppet module for deployment of sensu and it is run with a cron. Everything works fine however every time that the cron runs the sensu_client_config is somehow changed which tiggers a restart of the sensu client service… every single cron run. Not the end of the world, just pretty annoying.

Anyone know what is being changed each time in the client config that is causing puppet to remake the client file every time and hence trigger the restart? As far as I can tell the sensu client file is pretty static from run to run. I’ll look through the sensu puppet module a bit more but just figured I’d ask here in case someone ran into this already.

I had this same issue for a while with the sensu-server service. For me it ended up being a config option (low_flap_threshold) that was added to the custom section of the manifest when the provider already knew about the attribute (and I didn’t realize it). This caused the provider to see a difference in the attributes in the json file on disk with what it was supposed to set. In my case I didn’t even need anything more verbose than what Puppet was logging to syslog already.

Wyatt

···

On Wednesday, July 23, 2014 1:46:35 PM UTC-5, Morris Jones wrote:

Can you run the puppet agent manually with verbose turned on? The output might have a hint to what manifest is being triggered.

Mojk

On Jul 23, 2014 11:43 AM, “Scott Buchanan” scott.x....@gmail.com wrote: