Puppet enterprise config question.

Hi all,
I have sensu working on server and clients but each time I run puppet on the server it stops the sensu-server, sensu-api, and sensu-dashboard services. I assume the puppet config believes the server is a client and not the master. Now my question: how can I define a server as a server in the puppet enterprise GUI or via hiera? I have a yaml file for the server in my hiera/node directory but that does not seem to be working either. I would love to setup variables in the GUI or add the server to a class to make the association happen. Thanks for any information / suggestions.

Pete

Pete,

Yes, this problem caught me as well. If you consider server roles, a sensu server also runs a client. It’s easy to have a duplicate puppet class.

I solve this problem by setting all of the sensu class parameters in hiera, as follows:

In “common.yaml” I have parameters for all of my machines. It installs sensu, has “client: true” and “server:false” “api: false” “dashboard: false”

On the specific machines that are my sensu servers, I wrote a .yaml hiera file which overrides “::sensu::server: true” “::sensu::api: true” and “::sensu::dashboard: true”

That way the sensu class is only declared once, and the different machine roles get the parameters to turn on or off the server/api/dashboard pieces.

Mojo

···

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 11:07 AM, Pete Boguszewski peteatltg@gmail.com wrote:

Hi all,
I have sensu working on server and clients but each time I run puppet on the server it stops the sensu-server, sensu-api, and sensu-dashboard services. I assume the puppet config believes the server is a client and not the master. Now my question: how can I define a server as a server in the puppet enterprise GUI or via hiera? I have a yaml file for the server in my hiera/node directory but that does not seem to be working either. I would love to setup variables in the GUI or add the server to a class to make the association happen. Thanks for any information / suggestions.

Pete