Remotely configuring standalone checks

Hi,

I am writing a product to help maintenance of cloud environments. As the production environment can have a large number of hosts, I would like to run standalone checks, sending alerts to the server only if something goes wrong.

As hosts can differ in setup, and setup of hosts can change over time, I would like to centrally control the remote hosts configuration.

So far I haven’t found any good solution for doing this, other than using some orchestration manager, e.g. Ansible, to automate the task of replacing configuration files.

Can you suggest any smarter ways of doing this?

Thanks,

Yaron

In the end, standalone checks end up being config files on servers, so in my opinion the smartest way of doing this is using a boring configuration management tool, and treat it just like any other piece of configuration to adjust.

I understand in your case it is a product, but sensu configuration is probably only the tip of the iceberg of things you will have to manage, might as well use a tool that is built for the job and not something sensu-specific.

···

On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 6:10 AM, Yaron Yogev yaronyogev@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

I am writing a product to help maintenance of cloud environments. As the production environment can have a large number of hosts, I would like to run standalone checks, sending alerts to the server only if something goes wrong.

As hosts can differ in setup, and setup of hosts can change over time, I would like to centrally control the remote hosts configuration.

So far I haven’t found any good solution for doing this, other than using some orchestration manager, e.g. Ansible, to automate the task of replacing configuration files.

Thanks,

Yaron

Using something like salt or ansible *is* the smarter way IMO. Why wouldn't
you want to use them?

···

On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 9:10 AM, Yaron Yogev <yaronyogev@gmail.com> wrote:

So far I haven't found any good solution for doing this, other than using
some orchestration manager, e.g. Ansible, to automate the task of replacing
configuration files.

בתאריך יום שני, 19 בספטמבר 2016 בשעה 11:24:37 UTC+3, מאת Moises Silva:

···

On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 9:10 AM, Yaron Yogev yaron...@gmail.com wrote:

Using something like salt or ansible is the smarter way IMO. Why wouldn’t you want to use them?

I didn’t mean to say Ansible was not a good solution. Just wanted to make sure I was on the right track there, and not missing some capabilities of Sensu itself.

Thanks,

Yaron

So far I haven't found any good solution for doing this, other than
using some orchestration manager, e.g. Ansible, to automate the task of
replacing configuration files.

Using something like salt or ansible *is* the smarter way IMO. Why
wouldn't you want to use them?

I didn't mean to say Ansible was not a good solution. Just wanted to make
sure I was on the right track there, and not missing some capabilities of
Sensu itself.

I see. Sensu was designed explicitly to be configured using configuration
management tools like Ansible and Salt, so I don't think there's a more
fitting way to do it.

Good luck.

···

On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 9:10 AM, Yaron Yogev <yaron...@gmail.com> wrote:

In addition to the other (correct) suggestions that configuration management is the right tool for the job, I also want to clarify that standalone check results are always sent to the Sensu server (even if the check result is “OK”, or exit status 0). The Sensu server processes all check results and only creates events for results that are a “non zero” exit status (i.e. not “OK”).

I wanted to provide this clarification in case centralized management of your checks might make more sense. Centralized check definitions (i.e. managed on the Sensu Server) are called “pubsub checks” or “subscription checks”; see here for more info: https://sensuapp.org/docs/0.26/reference/checks.html#how-are-checks-scheduled

I hope this helps!

#monitoringlove

···

On Sunday, September 18, 2016 at 6:10:58 AM UTC-7, Yaron Yogev wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

Yaron