Sensu-Plugins Update

First off I would like to say thanks to the other contributors who have been doing considerable work on the plugins, this was not and continues to not be a one man show. @analytically @rmc3 and @tas50

According to RubyGems, we are fast approaching 8000 downloads across 52 gems! To give an overall idea of the current state of the organization, we have a total of 154 plugins repos and that number grows by at least 1 every week.

On July 6th, we will be freezing the original community plugins repo. This is only a soft freeze for the time being and allows the team to ensure everything is migrated. On this date we will no longer accept new plugins or features to existing plugins. All new code will need to be pulled against the new codebase. Security fixes and bug fixes will continue to be accepted for at least 60 days, as will any issues related to these topics.

At this time I expect all plugins to be built into stable gems. We currently a CI/CD pipeline setup using Codeship and it appears to be working great and will go a long way towards ensuring stability. For those interested in this pipeline the codebase can be found here.

I stress, at no point will the community plugins repo be removed. After the team and the community are happy with the state of the new organization, the community plugins repo will be archived and any open issues of importance will be migrated.

We have also done a first pass at plugins specific documentation. Development Guidelines, including testing, have been updated and a basic set of installation instructions have also been created. A lot more documentation needs to be written as well as an easier way to retrieve it.

Along with metadata, each gem now has a post-install message telling users how to use the embedded Ruby which is the recommended way to use the plugins. Many other versions are supported but the less we have to maintain on our systems the better we all sleep at night :wink:

The final major piece to drop will be a new site that incorporates the documentation and a searchable plugin directory. This will go along way towards helping people find plugins that they can use.

May The Source Be With You

···

Matt Jones @DevopsMatt

Infrastructure Engineer - Yieldbot Inc.

Core Contributor - Sensu Plugins

As much as I love the new switch and the re-organization, I find this way to be quite hard to find the type of Gem / plugin I’d like to use. While previously they were sorted by system, notification, handler, etc on the sensu-community-plugins repo.

Will there be a page (preferably on the main Sensu site) in the future where they’re easily categorized and filterable?

···

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 8:56 AM, Matt Jones mattjones@yieldbot.com wrote:

First off I would like to say thanks to the other contributors who have been doing considerable work on the plugins, this was not and continues to not be a one man show. @analytically @rmc3 and @tas50

According to RubyGems, we are fast approaching 8000 downloads across 52 gems! To give an overall idea of the current state of the organization, we have a total of 154 plugins repos and that number grows by at least 1 every week.

On July 6th, we will be freezing the original community plugins repo. This is only a soft freeze for the time being and allows the team to ensure everything is migrated. On this date we will no longer accept new plugins or features to existing plugins. All new code will need to be pulled against the new codebase. Security fixes and bug fixes will continue to be accepted for at least 60 days, as will any issues related to these topics.

At this time I expect all plugins to be built into stable gems. We currently a CI/CD pipeline setup using Codeship and it appears to be working great and will go a long way towards ensuring stability. For those interested in this pipeline the codebase can be found here.

I stress, at no point will the community plugins repo be removed. After the team and the community are happy with the state of the new organization, the community plugins repo will be archived and any open issues of importance will be migrated.

We have also done a first pass at plugins specific documentation. Development Guidelines, including testing, have been updated and a basic set of installation instructions have also been created. A lot more documentation needs to be written as well as an easier way to retrieve it.

Along with metadata, each gem now has a post-install message telling users how to use the embedded Ruby which is the recommended way to use the plugins. Many other versions are supported but the less we have to maintain on our systems the better we all sleep at night :wink:

The final major piece to drop will be a new site that incorporates the documentation and a searchable plugin directory. This will go along way towards helping people find plugins that they can use.

Matt Jones @DevopsMatt

Charlie Drage
GPG [FE8E 8D18] [charliedrage.com/public.key]

Yes!

It may not be on be main Sensu site, that is for others to decide, but a plugin directory is in the works. We have registered the domain of sensu-plugins.io(nothing there yet) for this purpose. Before any cutover is made this will be operational as we consider it a must have for the community to grow and use the plugins effectively.

I have several mocks but nothing that quite fits the bill. While we were not picked for GSoC, here was the project guideline for this task so you can have an idea of where we are going. https://github.com/sensu-plugins/documentation/blob/master/development/gsoc15.md#task-a-simple-comprehensive-directory-of-all-monitors-handlers-and-tools

I am open to suggestions or thoughts on this, but rest assured it is a critical piece of infrastructure that is coming.

···

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 9:31 AM, Charlie Drage charlie@charliedrage.com wrote:

As much as I love the new switch and the re-organization, I find this way to be quite hard to find the type of Gem / plugin I’d like to use. While previously they were sorted by system, notification, handler, etc on the sensu-community-plugins repo.

Will there be a page (preferably on the main Sensu site) in the future where they’re easily categorized and filterable?

Charlie Drage

Matt Jones @DevopsMatt

Matt Jones @DevopsMatt

https://linkedin.com/in/mattyjones

Awesome!

Didn’t realize this was already in the works.

I’m looking forward to it.

···

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 9:40 AM, Matt Jones mattjones@yieldbot.com wrote:

Yes!

It may not be on be main Sensu site, that is for others to decide, but a plugin directory is in the works. We have registered the domain of sensu-plugins.io(nothing there yet) for this purpose. Before any cutover is made this will be operational as we consider it a must have for the community to grow and use the plugins effectively.

I have several mocks but nothing that quite fits the bill. While we were not picked for GSoC, here was the project guideline for this task so you can have an idea of where we are going. https://github.com/sensu-plugins/documentation/blob/master/development/gsoc15.md#task-a-simple-comprehensive-directory-of-all-monitors-handlers-and-tools

I am open to suggestions or thoughts on this, but rest assured it is a critical piece of infrastructure that is coming.

Charlie Drage

Matt Jones @DevopsMatt

Charlie Drage

Matt Jones @DevopsMatt

To give a better idea of the long-term direction here is a dirty little roadmap we put together around the first of the year. It still holds true for the most part.

https://github.com/sensu-plugins/documentation/blob/master/Roadmap.md

To answer any common questions about the repos, the split, etc we have a FAQ here. Anyone should feel free to post new questions and we can add them if necessary for all to see.

https://github.com/sensu-plugins/documentation/blob/master/FAQ.md

···

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 9:43 AM, Charlie Drage charlie@charliedrage.com wrote:

Awesome!

Didn’t realize this was already in the works.

I’m looking forward to it.

Matt Jones @DevopsMatt

Charlie Drage

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 9:40 AM, Matt Jones mattjones@yieldbot.com wrote:

Yes!

Matt Jones @DevopsMatt

Charlie Drage

Matt Jones @DevopsMatt

Matt Jones @DevopsMatt