Sensu + Upstart, respawn notification via Sensu handlers

Hi there.
I’ve been using Sensu for a few months now and I need to use its well proved notification system to alert about a respawning process (from upstart). I though about a standalone check, but it’s still run every X minutes independently of process being respawned or not.

The idea is:

Service X falls and Upstart restarts (respawns) it > Upstart somehow sends this respawn alert to Sensu > Sensu handles this alert and sends a notification (e-mail, twitter, etc) using the channels I use nowadays (SES and SNS).

Is this possible? How can I approach this idea?

Any idea is really welcome. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure upstart logs to a file on actions like that. You could write a check to look for new errors in the file.

···

--
Brian Lalor
blalor@bravo5.org

On Jan 21, 2014, at 8:16 AM, Mariano González <gonzalez.mariano.gabriel@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi there.
I've been using Sensu for a few months now and I need to use its well proved notification system to alert about a respawning process (from upstart). I though about a standalone check, but it's still run every X minutes independently of process being respawned or not.

The idea is:

Service X falls and Upstart restarts (respawns) it > Upstart somehow sends this respawn alert to Sensu > Sensu handles this alert and sends a notification (e-mail, twitter, etc) using the channels I use nowadays (SES and SNS).

Is this possible? How can I approach this idea?

Any idea is really welcome. Thanks!