Standalone check that is not scheduled

Sensu Gurus,

I am looking to use sensu as a message bus to transfer alerts, and then trigger the handler/filter functionality. This is not a scheduled check, but more of an event based alert that needs to be passed through in real time. Here is an overview of the topology:

(Rsyslog coming in)----->[Sensu Client]------>[Sensu-Server Execute Handlers (based on filters)]----->Email,PagerDuty,etc.

What kind of simple check can I write, so that sensu-server will accept the incoming events? Currently, I have a standalone client side check configured as follows:

{

“checks”: {

“rsyslog_standalone_check”: {

“command”: “true”,

“handlers”: [

“all”

],

“interval”: 60,

“standalone”: true

}

}

}

This works, and every one minute it will run and return true, and it will also pipe through my incoming syslog events in real time as well. But I want to know if there is a way to do this without an interval?

My next question is, is there a limit on how many syslog events sensu-server will accept in this manner?

tia,

rouble

So sensu itself is a scheduler that being said you can accomplish this using some external service to send data to the results api without needing to run a client, schedule the check, etc just as long as whatever event you want to trigger this can make an api call.

My next question is, is there a limit on how many syslog events sensu-server will accept in this manner?

I mean I am sure there is some magical number but with a properly resourced and distributed sensu setup it should be able to handle this quite nicely. I have seen sensu setups with 10K+ clients and know people who have seen as large as 40k clients. It’s certainly possible to scale sensu but it takes time, effort, and patience.