Sensu for MSP?

Does anyone use sensu for monitoring multi-tenant environment?

mp

Can you go more into detail on what you mean by multi-tenant environment and what you are trying to accomplish?

···

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014, Marcin Pilarczyk marcin.pilarczyk@gmail.com wrote:

I’d like to group monitored resources into a separate groups for separate customers, have separate dashboards with separate logins for each customer, showing only their own resources. Have ability to monitor different customers with overlapping ip addresses with one server. Some kind of different mail notifications for different customers. Etc.

mp

···

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 9:43:31 PM UTC+2, Greg Poirier wrote:

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014, Marcin Pilarczyk marcin.p...@gmail.com wrote:

Can you go more into detail on what you mean by multi-tenant environment and what you are trying to accomplish?

You could just deploy a separate sensu pod (sensu-server, sensu-api, sensu-dashboard, redis, and rabbitmq) per tenant. That would be the easiest way of doing it, I think. Allow users of Sensu control over their configuration, and provide them with an automated means of deploying Sensu for their use that adheres to your organizational standards. Other than that, there is no inherent multi-tenancy.

What CM are you using?

We opted for a slightly different approach that uses shared Sensu, but we do configuration management in a way that gives teams the ability to manage their own contact information; contribute handlers, checks, and extensions; and contribute to shared plugin libraries. This seems to work fairly well. The dashboard isn’t completely friendly for this, so we’ve opted for tooling external to Sensu for managing stashes, resolving alerts manually, etc. Sensu-cli has been pretty good for this as a start, but in order to provide authentication and to enforce organizational standards we’ll have to augment it somewhat.

···

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 1:33 PM, Marcin Pilarczyk marcin.pilarczyk@gmail.com wrote:

I’d like to group monitored resources into a separate groups for separate customers, have separate dashboards with separate logins for each customer, showing only their own resources. Have ability to monitor different customers with overlapping ip addresses with one server. Some kind of different mail notifications for different customers. Etc.

mp

Greg,

More details (blog, talk, etc) on how you and your team implemented this sort-of sensu-as-internal-service for a large multi-team org would be awesome.

···

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 2:29 PM, Greg Poirier greg.poirier@opower.com wrote:

You could just deploy a separate sensu pod (sensu-server, sensu-api, sensu-dashboard, redis, and rabbitmq) per tenant. That would be the easiest way of doing it, I think. Allow users of Sensu control over their configuration, and provide them with an automated means of deploying Sensu for their use that adheres to your organizational standards. Other than that, there is no inherent multi-tenancy.

What CM are you using?

We opted for a slightly different approach that uses shared Sensu, but we do configuration management in a way that gives teams the ability to manage their own contact information; contribute handlers, checks, and extensions; and contribute to shared plugin libraries. This seems to work fairly well. The dashboard isn’t completely friendly for this, so we’ve opted for tooling external to Sensu for managing stashes, resolving alerts manually, etc. Sensu-cli has been pretty good for this as a start, but in order to provide authentication and to enforce organizational standards we’ll have to augment it somewhat.

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 1:33 PM, Marcin Pilarczyk marcin.pilarczyk@gmail.com wrote:

mp

I’ll see if I can work that into my next sprint which is a lot of Sensu and Flapjack work.

···

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 9:38 AM, Joe Miller joeym@joeym.net wrote:

Greg,

More details (blog, talk, etc) on how you and your team implemented this sort-of sensu-as-internal-service for a large multi-team org would be awesome.

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 2:29 PM, Greg Poirier greg.poirier@opower.com wrote:

What CM are you using?

mp

Bumping the topic, maybe there are some new solutions?

mp

I would also like to see this coming.

···

Am Dienstag, 24. Juni 2014 22:33:33 UTC+2 schrieb Marcin Pilarczyk:

mp