Sensu update itself when a check is edited

Hi all, having fun playing with Sensu but finding one issue a particular pain during setup: Can Sensu be set to auto update itself when a check file is modified or does it have to be restarted after a modification to any conf.d json file?

thanks,

-Leon

Hey Leon,

Currently, I believe a restart is required. That’s what we do, and indeed it does require pretty frequent restarts. We’ve mitigated some of this by moving some of the dynamic check logic inside of a custom check, rather than, say, re-writing check configs to ping other servers whenever a server is added/removed. That said, I don’t see any specific issues with restarting, other than resetting the check timers, etc.

Does anyone else have a use-case for a config-reload?

···

On Sunday, February 2, 2014 5:30:21 PM UTC-8, Leon Roy wrote:

Hi all, having fun playing with Sensu but finding one issue a particular pain during setup: Can Sensu be set to auto update itself when a check file is modified or does it have to be restarted after a modification to any conf.d json file?

thanks,

-Leon

Configuration validation is a considerable obstacle and functionally a reload would need to do ~ 90% what a restart currently does. I don’t see client restarts as an issue, however, reload would be useful for servers. As nick mentioned, moving the dynamic bits out of the check commands themselves alleviates much of the need to restart the Sensu process. Check command substitution and more intelligent plugins.

Sean.

···

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Nick Stielau nick.stielau@gmail.com wrote:

Hey Leon,

Currently, I believe a restart is required. That’s what we do, and indeed it does require pretty frequent restarts. We’ve mitigated some of this by moving some of the dynamic check logic inside of a custom check, rather than, say, re-writing check configs to ping other servers whenever a server is added/removed. That said, I don’t see any specific issues with restarting, other than resetting the check timers, etc.

Does anyone else have a use-case for a config-reload?

On Sunday, February 2, 2014 5:30:21 PM UTC-8, Leon Roy wrote:

thanks,

-Leon