Some concerns

Hello,

I believe that Sensu’s installation takes up more than 100MB of disk space. This could be an issue especially for clients with limited disk space. I think that the embedded ruby takes up most of it. So how could I reduce the size and still be able to use the embedded ruby.
On another note, is it possible to separate Sensu to different components each in its own package. Lastly, is there any way to perform remote checks from the server (I think that viewing stats from a user’s perspective when monitoring web and network services would be very useful).

Thanks!

Hey,

Each Sensu component has the same set of dependencies, so there would not be disk space savings with attempts to split them apart, maybe a few KB as there would be fewer service scripts. For the smallest footprint, you could install Sensu from Rubygems, using a system Ruby, and pull the service script(s) from sensu/sensu-build.

You could have a remote Sensu client(s) hit/monitor services on the system.

Sean.

···

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 1:58 AM, oussama sarhraoui sarhraoui.oussama@gmail.com wrote:

Hello,

I believe that Sensu’s installation takes up more than 100MB of disk space. This could be an issue especially for clients with limited disk space. I think that the embedded ruby takes up most of it. So how could I reduce the size and still be able to use the embedded ruby.

On another note, is it possible to separate Sensu to different components each in its own package. Lastly, is there any way to perform remote checks from the server (I think that viewing stats from a user’s perspective when monitoring web and network services would be very useful).

Thanks!

Curious - what sort of environment are you in that 100MB is an issue?

···

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 11:06 AM, Sean Porter portertech@gmail.com wrote:

Hey,

Each Sensu component has the same set of dependencies, so there would not be disk space savings with attempts to split them apart, maybe a few KB as there would be fewer service scripts. For the smallest footprint, you could install Sensu from Rubygems, using a system Ruby, and pull the service script(s) from sensu/sensu-build.

You could have a remote Sensu client(s) hit/monitor services on the system.

Sean.

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 1:58 AM, oussama sarhraoui sarhraoui.oussama@gmail.com wrote:

Hello,

Thanks!