zabbix comparison

Hi,

I am trying to decide on between zabbix and sensu for our environment. I need some requirements

• an admin ui for configuration

• define different emails for different hosts for alerts

• run nagios scripts

I have a bunch of perl, sh and python scripts currently running under Nagios environment. I thought migrating to sensu can be more easily but i am not sure what are the prons and cons for Zabbix.

Anyone has an experience on it?

Is there any notification escalation on the free version of sensu?

Cheers.

• Sensu does not have an admin gui, it is designed to be powered by modern config management tools

• You can absolutely configure different alert emails (or any methods) for different hosts and alerts

• Sensu runs any nagios-return-code-compliant script, as well as any of the sensu native plugins.

Probably the main advantage of Zabbix over Sensu is the native graphing capabilities and the admin gui. The cons to zabbix are probably the admin gui and the graphing capabilities :slight_smile:

I don’t think the non-enterprise version has native escalations? I don’t use such a feature and usually leave escalation up to Pagerduty.

···

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 1:37 AM, Oğuz Yarımtepe oguzyarimtepe@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to decide on between zabbix and sensu for our environment. I need some requirements

• run nagios scripts

I have a bunch of perl, sh and python scripts currently running under Nagios environment. I thought migrating to sensu can be more easily but i am not sure what are the prons and cons for Zabbix.

Cheers.

Hi Kyle,

I am trying to use Sensu for an environment where Chef/Puppet Integration is not exhaustive. Is there any configuration tool where Sensu Configs can be manged. (Ex- Groundwork for Nagios)

Regards,

Avijit

···

On Saturday, July 30, 2016 at 8:53:57 PM UTC+5:30, Kyle Anderson wrote:

• Sensu does not have an admin gui, it is designed to be powered by modern config management tools
  • You can absolutely configure different alert emails (or any methods) for different hosts and alerts
  • Sensu runs any nagios-return-code-compliant script, as well as any of the sensu native plugins.

Probably the main advantage of Zabbix over Sensu is the native graphing capabilities and the admin gui. The cons to zabbix are probably the admin gui and the graphing capabilities :slight_smile:

I don’t think the non-enterprise version has native escalations? I don’t use such a feature and usually leave escalation up to Pagerduty.

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 1:37 AM, Oğuz Yarımtepe oguzya...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

• run nagios scripts

Cheers.

I’m not aware of a tool to configure Sensu outside the “classic” configuration management family (Chef/Puppet/Ansible/Salt).

···

On Sat, Sep 9, 2017 at 12:23 PM, Avijit Singh connectavijit@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Kyle,

I am trying to use Sensu for an environment where Chef/Puppet Integration is not exhaustive. Is there any configuration tool where Sensu Configs can be manged. (Ex- Groundwork for Nagios)

Regards,

Avijit

On Saturday, July 30, 2016 at 8:53:57 PM UTC+5:30, Kyle Anderson wrote:

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 1:37 AM, Oğuz Yarımtepe oguzya...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

• run nagios scripts

Cheers.