Info about licencing model and related features

Hi,
suppose that we are currently using sensu core + uchiwa with 500+ clients/entities and need to migrate to sensugo:

• can we use the open source (and free) version of sensugo or we need to buy the commercial distribution (I’m wondering if, when we will try to connect the 101° agent, sensu force me to switch to commercial or not)?
  • am I right that if you have less than 100 entities all commercial features are available/usable by default without the need of a licence?
  • are check aggregates still a paid feature (it was in an early version of sensugo)? Asking that because I’ve found sensu-aggregate-check versions tagged as “community”
  • am I right that the web-UI (was uchiwa) is now a paid-only feature if you have more than 100 entities, while in an early version of sensugo (5.x) it was included into open source (and free) version of sensugo for unlimited number of entities (as uchiwa was for sensu core)? Asking that because with a few nodes I’m able to see the web-ui, so I need to presume that when I’m going to connect the 101° agent, that web-ui will not be available anymore, right?
  • I’ve found that in the 6.0.0 changelog: “The web interface is now a standalone product and no longer distributed inside the sensu-backend binary. Refer to GitHub - sensu/web: Web UI for Sensu Go clusters for more.”: can you clarify that? Because I still found a working web-ui on port 3000 provided by sensu-backend package.
1 Like

Hi there @bovy89 :wave: great questions. I’ll try to answer them all below / in-line…

The Sensu Go OSS (or Sensu Community Edition) project is very much alive and well, and actively used by hundreds of organizations. However, please note that we no longer distributed compiled binaries of the OSS project – it’s only available to compile from source.

Yes, that’s correct! And when you reach the 100-node limit, a 30-day unlimited use trial license is available for evaluating the commercial distribution with your complete workload.

Check aggregates have been completely rewritten in Sensu Go as a new feature called “Business Service Monitoring” (or BSM), which is now available in technical preview. BSM is not included in OSS, but it is available in the free tier (up to your first 100 nodes). The sensu-aggregate-check plugin is OSS and works with Sensu Go OSS, however Sensu’s API selectors/filtering feature is only available in the commercial distribution, so YMMV with Sensu Go OSS aggregation performance at scale.

Uchiwa was a community-developed project that was eventually sponsored by Sensu. We now offer an officially-supported Grafana Datasource for Sensu Go OSS users. The official web app for Sensu Go is included in our free tier, so it is available for all users up to your first 100 nodes (and then only available for paying customers beyond that). If you’re running our official Docker container image or using a binary downloaded from sensu.io, you’re likely seeing this dashboard (i.e. if you haven’t compiled Sensu from source, you’re not using the OSS version).

I hope this helps!

Just to be sure:

If we choose to install SensuGO via provided packages (e.g. SensuGO RedHat RPM) we are limited to 100 entities and web-ui is included in sensu-backend because this is not the OSS version.
If we choose to build SensuGO and web-ui from source we are not limited to 100 free entities and we got an official sensu web-ui: this is an OSS, free and unlimited entities SensuGO setup (as sensu core/uchiwa used to be).

Am I right?

I’m asking that because for our use case (500+) we must use an open source and free (not limited to the number of entites) monitoring solution and I’m trying to figure out if we can upgrade from sensucore/uchiwa to SensuGO or not (BTW I think that grafana datasource solution is a little bit limited because you cannot manage entities/silence etc. at all).

@calebhailey please, can you take a look at my last post?

Yes and no. There is no entirely limit with Sensu Go OSS (which is only available to compile from source). The sensu/web project was developed by the Sensu team as an official dashboard, but we ended support for that project over a year ago. The following post has more details: