Sensu Go 5.15.0 is here!

This is a significant release for a number of reasons; in addition to the long-awaited cluster federation features, it’s now free to use Sensu Go (and all of its commercial features!) up to 100 nodes.

Check out the release notes: https://docs.sensu.io/sensu-go/5.15/release-notes/#5-15-0-release-notes

1 Like

Hi @anna

I just want to know what exactly is entity limit on Sensu’s free edition.
Previously the entity limit was 1000,

In the recent release notes: IMPORTANT: Sensu’s free entity limit is now 100 entities

Q: So we can only have 100 servers(agents) in the free edition?

Thanks

2 Likes

Hi @He-Man,

Thanks for your comment! Yes, the limit is now 100 nodes, as opposed to 1,000. With 5.15.0, all of Sensu Go’s commercial features are available for free up to 100 nodes (previously, certain features were enterprise-only), and it’s also easier to compile from source if you prefer to go the fully OSS route. Check out Caleb’s blog post for more details: https://blog.sensu.io/one-year-of-sensu-go and let us know if you have further questions!

Thanks,
Anna

3 Likes

what is the definition of node in this case? typically i see entities, agents, backends, but not nodes.

does “Nodes” refer to just agent class entities, or does that also include proxy entities?

Am i reading it correclty, that if we have had a fully functioning server for months with over 100 entities/nodes , we cannot upgrade to the latest version and continue to use the same server, as adding any additional entities will not be supported?

2 Likes

Hi @jtenzer,

In this case, a node corresponds to an entity, including agent entities and proxy entities.

If you upgrade to 5.15.0 and currently have more than 100 entities, you will indeed not be able to add additional entities but your existing entities will continue to work seamlessly, with all commercial features for free. That being said, if you are not interested in those features, you can always go the full OSS route and compile your own binaries, like @anna mentioned above.

If you require any further information, let us know.

2 Likes

thanks, a couple of additional question:

do these changes affect what bonsai assets are available to OSS users? for example, does anything that was communuty tier, get pulled into enterprise tiers?

Will the OSS tier stay where it is feature wise? or is there the possibility in the future to, for example, disable dahsboard totally for OSS?

1 Like

Hey @jtenzer! The Bonsai Asset supported tiers are developed to work with the commercial distribution, we do not test them with a pure OSS Sensu Go deployment (no changes here). Future Bonsai Asset development by Sensu Inc is very likely to be OSS and supported (tested with the commercial distribution).

The OSS core of Sensu Go will continue to see improvements, in terms of performance and stability, as well as features and enhancements that belong in the core (e.g. pipeline components). Disabling the Sensu Go Web UI is such a feature that makes sense in the OSS core.

1 Like

With regards to going the OSS route… If I were to rebuild my existing cluster using my own package compiled from source, would I need to immediately redeploy all my agents at the same time for them to work?

Basically, do Sensu provided agent packages work with self-compiled Sensu backends? (and if they do, is it really allowed?)

Thanks

1 Like

This isn’t a supported configuration, and we recommend to always keep agent + backend version in sync (we don’t test compatibility for mixed versions), so we can’t make any promises here, however we don’t expect major issues between versions. As always, we’d be very interested in whether you do see any issues in a mixed backend/agent deployment.

1 Like