Sensu-go free vs paid

Hi,

I’m working on a spike to move from Sensu-core to sensu-go.

In the pinned post “introducing-usage-limits-in-the-sensu-go-free-tier” it says your able to use supported modules for up to 1000 entities.

Here Get started with commercial features - Sensu Docs it say’s it’s up to 100 entities.

The website says

All official binaries distributed by Sensu, Inc. are commercially licensed and made available for FREE for small teams or individual use (up to 100 nodes)

My questions are:

1. Are supported modules and official binaries the same thing?
  2. is it 100 or 1000 entities?
  3. Are nodes and entities the same?
  4. If there is a limit on commercial features can you choose which entities they are applied to? i.e. have poduction entities using commercial and test not.
  5. If we are starting with more than the max entities can we disable commercial features on all, so we don’t constantly have the warning message? or is it a case we’ll just have to pay for the license?

Has anyone else been through this and can give me any pointers.

Thanks

Simon

1 Like

Hi there, @simon71 :wave: great question(s).

1. Are supported modules and official binaries the same thing?

Officially supported binaries are the commercial distribution of Sensu Go, which includes the official Docker image(s), binaries, and installation packages available here: https://sensu.io/downloads

If by “supported modules” you mean our officially supported integrations (e.g. Slack, InfluxDB, Elasticsearch, and others), most of these are also free and will work with any version of Sensu Go. Certain enterprise integrations such as ServiceNow, Ansible Tower, or Rundeck integration do require a valid Sensu Go license key (or trial license).

2. Is it 100 or 1000 entities?

The free tier limit is 100-entities, as announced last October. The reduced limit comes with the added benefit that 100% of the Sensu Go commercial features are now free up to the first 100 nodes (with no trial license required). The earlier 1000-entity limit did not include all of the commercial features from Sensu Go (e.g. you would still need a license key to use LDAP), which limited it’s usefulness to new users who are just getting started with Sensu, so we revised our free tier strategy and adjusted the limit accordingly.

3. Are nodes and entities the same?

Yes.

4. If there is a limit on commercial features can you choose which entities they are applied to? i.e. have poduction entities using commercial and test not.

No. 100% of the commercial features are enabled on all entities up to the first 100 entities, after which point you either need a license key (a free 30-day unlimited-use trial is available), or to compile Sensu Go from source (sans commercial features).

Here are some resources that help explain the differences:

5. If we are starting with more than the max entities can we disable commercial features on all, so we don’t constantly have the warning message? or is it a case we’ll just have to pay for the license?

You can get a free 30-day trial license (no credit card required), which provided an unlimited-use license for 30-days.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. :slightly_smiling_face:

#monitoringlove

If you compile binaries yourself you are essentially using the community version and can go past the 100 entity limits of the enterprise packages.

1 Like

Has anyone else been through this and can give me any pointers.

We’ve migrated from Sensu Core to Sensu Go. After writing Ansible code installing the precompiled packages, we hit the 100 entities limit. We then used the binary distribution - which is free with no entity limit - but it seemed ‘flaky’ at times. We’re now using the ‘enterprise edition’.

2 Likes

@wedwards Thats the exact answer I both expected and needed thanks.